This filipino comfort food is one of my favorites! It reminds me of when I was a little girl and it would be cold and rainy outside. My mom would cook this soup especially if anyone was sick in the house.
I did alter the traditional recipe to include more veggies and not so typical for my family is adding a hard boiled egg. It’s soooo good! I think Mr. Wonderful and I tried the hard boiled egg version on Guam when I was back home for vacation. So, we stuck with the egg. I find it makes the soup heartier and more satisfying. Enjoy!
1 1/2 lbs chicken, cubed
1 cup carrots, cubed
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup onions, diced
1/4 cup ginger, diced
1 cup rice, uncooked
2 Tbsp Garlic powder
2 quarts chicken broth
Salt and pepper
Hard boiled eggs
Fried minced garlic
1) In a large pot on medium high heat, brown the chicken, about 6-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper (S&P).
2) Remove from pot. Add celery, carrots, and onions and brown for about 3 minutes or until the onions are almost translucent and season with S&P.
3) Add the ginger, rice and garlic powder and stir until well coated and cook for about 30 seconds. Season with S&P.
4) Add the broth and bring to a boil and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and starts to break. Stir every few minutes. It will look like you will need more rice, but when the rice gets cooked it will soak up a lot of the broth and make the soup thicker.
5) Make sure you taste and season with more S&P if needed.
Garnish with fried garlic, scallions. Serve with lemon wedges and fish sauce.